Included in both federal law (IDEA 2004) and Pennsylvania Regulations (Chapter 14) is the requirement to include transition planning as part of an eligible child's Individualized Education Program (IEP). This transition planning begins for students who are 14 years of age or older and includes planning by the IEP Team to develop appropriate and measurable postsecondary goals related to training, education, employment, and, when appropriate, independent living skills.
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8 educational consultants are available to:
- Provide training and technical assistance to professional staff and IEP Teams
- Facilitate interagency collaboration
- Develop work experience programs
- Serve on Transition Councils
- Assist with linking students to post-secondary education/training and work opportunities
- Provide consultation and collaboration on individual cases