Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8 is excited to announce its affiliate partnership with FIRST Lego League Jr. The FIRST Lego League Jr. program is for students in grades K through 3 (Ages 6-10). Below, you will find videos containing information on the theme, team start up process, and registration.
TEAM REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN.(see registration details below)
DATE: Tuesday, February 25, 2020
TIME: 9:00AM - Noon
LOCATION: Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
4500 6th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16602
THE FORCE IS BUILDING
This season, our programs represent the opportunity each of us has to foster a sense of belonging and help our cities, towns, and communities reach new heights. As the architects of FIRST, we’re all working to build a stronger foundation, so we can build a better world. Together, we RISE.
WHAT IS FIRST LEGO LEAGUE Jr?
FIRST LEGO League Jr.(Ages 6-10) focuses on building early interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) through a real-world challenge using research, critical thinking, and imagination. Guided by adult coaches and FIRST Core Values: discovery, innovation, impact, inclusion, teamwork and fun, student built models using LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 and create Show Me posters to present what they learned at a season-ending Expo.
What Makes a Team? A team is 2-6 students, ages 6-10 and two or more adult coaches with the desire to solve problems as a team. All skill levels are welcomed and needed. No technical experience is required.
How much does it cost to start/run a team?
- $189.00 (+$15 S&H) for the LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 Core Set
- one time purchase
- $99 (+$15 S&H) yearly registration fee.
- includes yearly Inspire Set, 6 Engineering Notebooks and 2 Team Meeting Guides)
- $25 yearly PA-Central EXPO fee for each team (up to 6 kids + 2 coaches)
Registering for First Lego League Jr:
The registration for the FLL Jr event hosted by the Appalachia IU8 is a three -step process.
- Register through FIRST.
- Go to firstinspires.org and click “log in” in the top right corner. If you are a new team, you’ll need to create a new account. If you are a returning team, you can use your account information from the past.
- Once you are logged into your account, you will need to pay to register as an official FIRST team.
- Sign up for the event through FIRST.
- Once you are logged in and have paid your FIRST registration, you should see our event (PA-CENTRAL) on your dashboard. Click on the event and follow the instructions to sign up for it.
- Register through the Appalachia IU8.
- Click on the following link to REGISTER and pay the $25 PA-Central EXPO fee.
District/Team WILL NOT be invoiced if the event is cancelled by the IU due to low enrollment
District/Team WILL NOT be invoiced if the participant cancels at least 7 days prior to the start of the event.
District/Teams WILL BE invoiced the FULL COST if the participant cancels with less than 7 days notice of the start of the event or if the participant simply does not attend.